Related Content on this Site:
Will 5G deliver on its promises?
Won’t 5G give us better cell service?
Don’t 21st applications like smart cities, telesurgery, drones, virtual reality and autonomous vehicles need 5G?
Documents to Read or Download:
1. 5G Wireless is the New Fiber Optic Bait-and-Switch Scandal, Bruce Kushnick |Medium | March 2018
According to a Deloitte study, in order to build 5G in the United States, there will need to be a $130-$150 billion dollar investment in fiber to the poles over the next 5-7 years. How and if this will be financed is not yet clear.
2. If they build 5G, the money will come … right? Colin Gibbs |Fierce Wireless | November 2017
“Carriers are plotting their strategies and densifying their networks as they prepare for the highly anticipated arrival of 5G. But how they’ll actually make money from next-generation technologies and services is about as clear as the air in New Delhi.”
3. Impact on Property Values, On the Proliferation of Cell Towers in the Eastern Townships | Canadians for Responsible Placement of Cell Towers
ISED Canada and the telecommunications companies refuse to accept that several factors decrease the values of property where wireless antennas are placed.
4. Rapid growth of automation threatening jobs in Canada, David Hodges | Canadian Press | October 2017
A 2017 report suggests the speed of technological advances is outpacing the rate at which large Canadian businesses and government institutions can adapt, with 35 to 42 per cent of jobs threatened by automation.
5. Robots will destroy our jobs – and we’re not ready for it, Dan Shewan | The Guardian | January 2017
“Two-thirds of Americans believe robots will soon perform most of the work done by humans, but 80% also believe their jobs will be unaffected. Time to think again.”
6. Study: Robots set to displace millions of U.S. workers by 2025, Christopher Matthews |AXIOS | March 2017
A 2017 U.S. research study predicts that if automation proceeds at predicted rates, millions of jobs could be lost while wage growth is reduced by up to 2.6% between 2015 and 2025.
7. Upgrade to 5G Costs $200 Billion a Year May Not Be Worth It, Olga Kharif and Scott Moritz | Bloomberg | December 2017
5G is being escorted in with much hype and fanfare, but where’s the business case? According to Bloomberg Technology, 5G “may not be worth it”.